Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Getting Started

    I'm new at this blogging thing. I usually scoff at all things trendy and technologically advanced. I have a Facebook, I follow a couple of people on Twitter, but for the most part, I stay away from all things that combine being social utilizing media. Sometimes this comes as an inconvenience as I teach around 130 high school students and they often slip into a language that is littered with hashtags, instas, and status updates.

   I once had an entire lecture comparing Biblical Revelation to a Facebook interaction. I was actually pretty pleased with myself mid-lesson when I saw the 25 wide-eyed girls fixated on me instead of on their computer screens. I thought, "They're really getting this! I'm on a roll!" God inviting Moses to chat? They loved it! Someone hacking into your account as an analogy for the Babylonian Captivity? Homerun! Then I said something about the people drifting away from God, and he needed to poke them to get their attention. Boom. Lesson over. Apparently poking hasn't been cool since 2005. It's really a shame, though. I was almost through the Old Testament.


Labels: