Thursday, June 13, 2013

An Open Letter to St. Anthony

Image by Kevin Dooley under Creative Commons license
Dear St. Anthony,

Being the patron saint of lost articles, I have kept you busy over the years. I didn't even really own a wallet until I graduated college (well, that is if slipping your credit cards and driver's license into your cell phone case doesn't count, which I don't think it does). Seriously, all of my friends have grown wise to letting me borrow -- scratch that -- touch anything of theirs; I'm thankful you have always kept me squarely in your sights.

I even invoked your intercession just last week as our school bus full of teenagers bobbled down the streets of Mobile, AL in search of Spring Hill College after a hot, sticky, three hour drive. If we're all being honest here, it was a cry of frustration more than an actual prayer. If we're all being really honest here, it was more of a passive-aggressive dig at the bus driver who kept ignoring the GPS and my attempts to help. But you answered anyway and led us straight to our destination.

You are also the saint who has a special place in his heart for the lost themselves. I know you have petitioned on my behalf many times; even when I didn't seek it or deserve it. Please stay by my side, and strengthen in me the graces of responsibility and temperance.

In short, thanks for not clicking "hide" on the news feed that is my life.

Dee

PS: I could still use some help in finding my Kindle Fire power cord. I've included a reference picture below. No judgement?




Labels: